Till startsida
To content Read more about how we use cookies on gu.se

Practical Information

Your Arrival

The University of Gothenburg provides a pick-up service and a welcome week for all arriving exchange students. The mandatory Orientation Program at the School of Business, Economics and Law will follow.


  • Student room or private room (furnished, shared kitchen facilities) ranges from SEK 2,700- SEK 5,800 per month, depending on location and standard.
  • Moderate-sized, one room, unfurnished, private apartment ranges from SEK 4,000 and up per month.
  • Food and miscellaneous costs are approximately SEK 3,000 - SEK 6,000 per month.
  • Public transportation within the city (via bus/tram) is available: monthly pass - SEK 610, single trip - SEK 29.
  • Gasoline costs approximately SEK 14/liter.

Healthcare in Sweden

An overview of the medical healthcare provision in Sweden can be found here


Student housing services at the University of Gothenburg offer a limited number of student rooms and apartments to exchange students within the Erasmus and Linnaeus Palme programs, as well as to exchange students within the framework of a bilateral agreement. For more information and instruction on how to apply for accommodation, visit our website.

The University of Gothenburg are members of Housing Anywhere, a student-to-student platform where students going abroad for an exchange semester can sublet their rooms and incoming exchange students can rent those rooms. Please visit the Housing Anywhere website for more information. 

Immigration Regulations

EU and EEA Citizens
Visiting students must be in possession of a valid passport or other proof of citizenship. EU citizens have the right to work, study or live in Sweden without a residence permit. This right is called right of residence. More information is found here.

Swiss citizens
Swiss citizens are allowed to enter Sweden without a residence permit or visa. However, if you will be studying in Sweden for longer than three months, you need to apply for a residence permit for studies. Visit the Swedish Migration Board's website for information on how to apply.

Non-EU and non-EEA Citizens
The visiting student must be in possession of a valid passport and a student residence permit. On the Swedish Migration Board's website you can make an online application for a student residence permit. You will also need to contact the Swedish Embassy in your home country for further information about specific immigration rules and requirements. A list of Swedish embassies is found here


As an exchange student at the University of Gothenburg you are covered by personal injury insurance (the general student insurance) and an accident insurance (Swedish State's Insurance for Foreign Students in Sweden, Student IN). Student IN applies 24 hours a day while in Sweden from the two weeks prior to the start of your studies until two weeks after completion. PFor more information about the coverage, please go to thi link here. If you have a claim to file, the form can be found here. Please note that you must submit the claim and all original receipts to the International Office, otherwise your claim will not be accepted.


Visiting students within undergraduate programs or postgraduate studies at the University of Gothenburg who intend to return to their native countries after completed studies are entitled to apply for funds from the Adlerbert Assistance Fund. To apply for this grant the extent of your studies should be at least three months. Foreign students who receive Swedish study loan and/or have a permanent residence permit in Sweden are not entitled to apply.

Applications are made only during the spring semester, for further information please click here

Page Manager: Kajsa Gerdin|Last update: 4/11/2019

The University of Gothenburg uses cookies to provide you with the best possible user experience. By continuing on this website, you approve of our use of cookies.  What are cookies?